Cruising is an excellent way for families to enjoy a vacation together. It provides a wide variety of entertainment options for all ages, from children to grandparents. However, not all cruise lines are created equal when it comes to family-friendly amenities and activities. That’s why it’s important to choose the right cruise line that meets the needs of your family. In this article, we’ll discuss the best cruise lines for families.
1. Best cruise lines for families
Disney Cruise Line is a top choice for families with young children, and for good reason. The ships are designed with families in mind, with extensive kid’s clubs, character meet and greets, and a variety of Disney-themed activities. The dining options on board are also geared towards families, with kid-friendly menus and the option for adults to enjoy a night out at one of the ship’s upscale restaurants while their children are entertained.
Royal Caribbean is another excellent choice for families, with ships that offer everything from rock-climbing walls to ice-skating rinks to mini-golf courses. The line’s Adventure Ocean youth program is highly praised, with age-specific activities and dedicated spaces for teens. In addition, Royal Caribbean has partnered with DreamWorks to offer character experiences and movies onboard.
Carnival Cruise Line is known for its fun and lively atmosphere, with plenty of activities for kids and adults alike. The line’s Seuss at Sea program, which includes character parades and story time, is a hit with young children. Carnival also has a partnership with Hasbro, offering family game shows and activities based on the popular board games.
Norwegian Cruise Line’s ships have a reputation for being more modern and innovative, with amenities like the largest ropes course at sea and a two-story sports complex. The line’s youth program, Splash Academy, offers activities for children ranging from infants to teens. Norwegian also has partnerships with Nickelodeon and Nintendo, providing character experiences and gaming opportunities.
Princess Cruises offers a wide range of family-friendly activities, from pools and sports courts to an onboard planetarium. The line’s youth program, Camp Discovery, has activities for different age groups and includes a partnership with the Discovery Channel. Princess also offers the option for families to stay in larger staterooms or suites, making it easier to accommodate families of all sizes.
2. Top cruise destinations to visit
The Caribbean is a perennial favorite among cruise-goers, with a variety of itineraries that visit different islands and ports of call. Popular activities include beach days, water sports, and cultural excursions.
An Alaska cruise offers the chance to see stunning glaciers, wildlife like whales and bears, and beautiful scenery. Many itineraries also include stops in ports like Juneau and Ketchikan, where visitors can learn about local culture and history.
A Mediterranean cruise typically includes stops in cities like Barcelona, Rome, and Athens, offering the opportunity to explore ancient ruins, beautiful beaches, and vibrant cultures.
A Northern Europe cruise can include stops in cities like Copenhagen, Stockholm, and St. Petersburg, as well as scenic fjords and natural wonders like Iceland’s Blue Lagoon.
A Hawaiian cruise offers the chance to see the islands’ beautiful beaches, volcanoes, and natural wonders. Some itineraries also include stops in other Pacific islands like Tahiti and Fiji.
3. Cruise ship reviews and ratings
Many websites and publications offer reviews and ratings of cruise ships, based on factors like onboard amenities, dining options, and overall guest experience. Some popular sources for cruise ship reviews include:
- Cruise Critic: Cruise Critic is a website that offers reviews and ratings of cruise ships, as well as advice and tips for planning a cruise.
- Travel + Leisure: Travel + Leisure is a magazine and website that offers travel advice and reviews, including reviews of cruise ships.
- U.S. News & World Report: U.S. News & World Report offers rankings and ratings of cruise ships, based on a variety of factors like affordability and quality of amenities.
4. How to choose the right cabin on a cruise
Choosing the right cabin on a cruise depends on a variety of factors, including your budget, the size of your party, and your preferences for location and amenities. Here are some tips for choosing the right cabin:
- Consider your budget: Cabins can vary widely in price, so it’s important to set a budget and stick to it. Keep in mind that cabins on lower decks or with obstructed views may be less expensive.
- Think about your party size: If you’re traveling with a large group, you may want to consider booking a suite or connecting rooms. If you’re traveling solo, you may be able to find a smaller cabin that’s more affordable.
- Decide on a location: Cabins in the center of the ship tend to be less affected by motion and noise, while cabins on higher decks may offer better views. Balcony cabins can be a great choice if you want to have your own private outdoor space.
- Consider cabin amenities: Some cabins may offer extra amenities like larger bathrooms, walk-in closets, or additional seating areas. Be sure to research the specific cabin types on your chosen ship to find one that meets your needs.
5. Best cruise deals and discounts
There are a variety of ways to find deals and discounts on cruises, including:
- Booking early: Many cruise lines offer early booking discounts for travelers who book their trip several months in advance.
- Booking during the off-season: Prices for cruises can be lower during the off-season, which can vary depending on the destination.
- Looking for promotions: Cruise lines often offer promotions that include discounts, onboard credits, or other perks. These promotions may be advertised on the cruise line’s website or through travel agents.
- Considering a repositioning cruise: Repositioning cruises occur when a ship is moved from one region to another at the start or end of a season. These cruises may offer lower prices than traditional itineraries.
- Using a travel agent: Travel agents may have access to exclusive deals or promotions that aren’t available to the general public.
6. How to stay healthy on a cruise
Staying healthy on a cruise is important, especially given the potential for illness outbreaks. Here are some tips for staying healthy:
- Wash your hands frequently: Washing your hands regularly can help prevent the spread of germs.
- Use hand sanitizer: Hand sanitizer stations are often available throughout the ship, and it’s a good idea to use them frequently.
- Avoid close contact with sick passengers: If you see someone who appears to be sick, it’s best to avoid close contact.
- Stay hydrated: It’s important to drink plenty of water, especially in hot climates.
- Eat healthy foods: Cruise ships offer a variety of dining options, including healthy choices like fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Exercise: Many ships have fitness centers or offer exercise classes, which can be a great way to stay active and healthy during your trip.
7. How to pack for a cruise
Packing for a cruise can be a challenge, especially since the dress code and weather can vary depending on the destination and ship. Here are some tips for packing:
- Check the dress code: Some ships have formal nights or other dress codes, so be sure to check the specific requirements before you pack.
- Pack for the weather: Depending on your destination, you may need to pack clothing for both warm and cool weather. It’s also a good idea to pack a raincoat or umbrella, just in case.
- Consider the activities: If you plan to participate in certain activities like hiking or swimming, be sure to pack appropriate clothing and gear.
- Don’t forget the essentials: Be sure to pack items like sunscreen, insect repellent, and any necessary medications.
- Pack light: Most cruise cabins have limited storage space, so it’s a good idea to pack only what you need and avoid overpacking.
Overall, these are just a few of the many topics related to cruising that people search for on Google. Whether you’re a first-time cruiser or a seasoned pro, there’s always something new to learn about planning, booking, and enjoying a cruise. By doing your research and taking advantage of deals and discounts, you can make the most of your cruise experience and create memories that will last a lifetime.
It’s also important to keep in mind that while cruising can be a fun and relaxing way to travel, it’s not for everyone. If you’re prone to motion sickness or prefer more independent travel, a cruise may not be the best fit. However, if you’re looking for a convenient and all-inclusive way to explore new destinations and meet new people, a cruise can be an excellent choice.
Ultimately, the key to a successful cruise is to do your research, plan ahead, and have an open mind. With the right preparation and mindset, you can make the most of your cruise and have a truly unforgettable vacation.
- 3-Day Itinerary to Phnom Penh: A Cultural and Historical Tour (2023)
- Disconnect to Reconnect: The Benefits of Digital Detox and Unplugged Travel
- Cruising Solo: How to Enjoy a Cruise Vacation on Your Own (2023)
- All-Inclusive Resorts for the Ultimate Foodie Experience: Eat and Drink Like Royalty (2023)
- How to Overcome Travel Burnout and Keep the Adventure Going